hommage à Picasso
Summer Exhibition at the Munich Künstlerhaus
Pablo Picasso (1881-1973) and his works have defined the art of the 20th century. The exhibition “Hommage à Picasso” presents 48 original graphics by Pablo Picasso, 24 of which are illustrations for Honoré de Balzac’s “Le Chef d´œuvre inconnu”, as well as 71 original graphic works by some his most renowned contemporaries, such as Joan Miró, Henry Moore, Andy Warhol, Eduardo Paolozzi or Nikki de Saint Phalle.
This homage for Picasso’s 90th birthday, initiated by art historian Wieland Schmied, was the most remarkable project of contemporary graphic arts.
Picasso’s work for Balzac’s famous story about an artist was inspired by a suggestion from the art dealer and publisher Ambroise Vollard himself. In his story about the fate of a painter who strives for perfection, but whose idealistic goals prove to be unachievable for himself, Balzac explains the new concepts of art of his time and his own philosophy of art theory to his readers. Beyond that, his tale also is a love story. In twelve etchings, Picasso deals with the aspect of the story which was of great importance to him all his life: the relationship between the artist and his model. On this basis, a work was created which undoubtedly is one of Picasso’s most beautiful illustrated books.
The exhibition from the German collection of Richard H. Mayer, Kunstkontor Bamberg, which is very rare in it’s comprehensiveness, provides a fascinating view on Picasso’s era and on the art of the 20th and 21st century.
About Künstlerhaus Munich
The house shall be a meeting place for all artists in Munich, “a centre for glee, counsel and first deeds”, was written in the charter which was read out loud during the cornerstone ceremony of the Künstlerhaus (Munich House of Artists) and later embedded in the foundation.
The idea for this house stems from the Allotria artist’s society – a society renowned for being home to many well-known painters, sculptors, musicians and prominent Munich citizens. When Prince Regent Luitpold of Bavaria opened the Munich House of Artists in 1900, the intention of the founding fathers became reality: A place to meet for the members of Allotria society and artists.
Based the spirit of historicism, Gabriel von Seidl created a renaissance revival building, which became a centre of conviviality and a contemporary monument commemorating the turn of the century. The bourgeoisie, the families of brewers and industrialists, celebrated with the illustrious artists of their time. Among them Franz von Lenbach, Fritz August Kaulbach and Franz von Stuck, who were well known for being the initiators of many great festivities.
After being destroyed during World War II the house got rebuilt by the Munich-Künstlerhaus-Association – the architect was Prof. Dr. Erwin Schleich. When the Künstlerhaus got reopened by Duke Albrecht of Bavaria in 1961 the expectations were high: A new beginning with the glamour of the old days. But economic problems - stemming from the financing of the rebuilding - had hampered the presence of the Künstlerhaus in Munich’s daily cultural life. Even though it hosted many congresses as well as film- and media-days, the cultural founding principle had to play second fiddle to the economic needs.
Ever since 1998 a variety of steps has been taken to find and create a balance between the founding principles on the one hand and economic responsibilities on the other hand. The Künstlerhaus as rentable event-location for congresses, conventions and family celebrations is as much in the focus as the diverse in-house cultural programme. By converting it into a foundation, Maja and Peter Grassinger have rejuvenated the original idea behind Künstlerhaus. A prolific variety of connections and initiatives have been formed and are the reason the future of the Künstlerhaus is looking promising.
The Munich Künstlerhaus is looking forward to your visit.
More information is available at www.kuenstlerhaus-muc.de